Thursday, October 29, 2009

Things I have learned in Japan so far

Whoa, another post!! Yep! I was inspired!

As of October 29, 2009, here are some things I have learned from being in Japan:

**I have learned to eat almost anything. Almost is the key word there, as squid is still a no go. Remember how I used to be a quasi-vegetarian and maybe a little picky? Nope. Now I eat almost anything. Thank you, school lunches.
**You can eat anything with chopsticks. It's not always easy, but it is doable.
**I can eat a whole bowl of rice, soup, the "protein" and the "salad" plus drink my milk in 20 minutes or less... using chopsticks mind you. This took a lot of practice... I used to always be the last one to finish. Now I am somewhere in the middle.
**Fresh whole milk is DELICIOUS.
**Milk in Japan apparently does not cause problems for me. (yay to this!)
**Coke tastes different in Japan. I think I like it better... I keep hearing that there is no high fructose corn syrup in it, and thats why it tastes different. Its refreshing and uplifitng, however, just as the bottles say!
**Oreos taste different in Japan. Not sure if I like them better... they are harder to twist apart, so that is minus like 100 points.
**I really REALLY like cheese. I miss cheese.
**I like fresh bagels. We did manage to get some, but its just not the same as going to the bakery where they are made and eating it there.
**When you are a teacher, you will make a fool of yourself in class on a regular basis. Or at least, if you want the students to pay attention you will. Gotta keep em on their toes.
**Kids will do anything for candy.
**When you are a foreigner in a small town, people will stare. However, they will also give you all kinds of things. So far I have been given: apples, chocolate cake, clam chowder, a cute little knitted dog, frozen hamburgers, oden, tomatoes, green tea pudding... the list goes on... People are SO nice!
**Listening to music and watching TV in a different language is a GREAT way to learn.
**Singing karaoke is a good way to learn some common kanji
**English is hard to explain. "Eigo da yo!" ("That's English!") is not a suitable grammar explanation, either.


...to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. this is so cool. i am thinking about applying for this program after i graduate. following this blog will really be helpful to me :)

    ReplyDelete