Tuesday, April 12, 2011

whats this new blog address, anyway

So... I thought I should explain my new blog address.  As you may or may not know, I have been really studying kanji.  Like, really studying.  I want to be at the same level as a 6th grader before I leave...I have about 600 more to learn before that point.  ugh.  I have also already learned about 600, which is cool.  Anyway, I study with fellow ALT, Crystal.  She is awesome.

Let's talk about kanji a bit... so kanji are the Chinese characters used in Japanese.  Kanji are often made up of radicals.  For example, the kanji meaning "to wear" or used in words about wearing (also words about arriving or...well, you get the idea) is  着. And the radical is 目which is eye. See it on the bottom, all squashed together?  Alright, so when Crystal and I study, we often find ourselves asking each other questions that, when taken out of context, are absolutely ridiculous.  Like, "Hey, is it a day or or an eye in this one?"  To clarify that,  day is 日 and eye is 目, and if you look, well, yes, they are quite similar.  So sometimes we get confused when writing kanji and are not sure if we need to draw that extra horizontal line or not!

And that, dear readers, is where the new address came from.  It is a question that often plagues my life and studies and therefore I decided to make it my new blog address.

Aren't you glad I told you?

No comments:

Post a Comment