Saturday, August 29, 2009

Some good old retail therapy

So, I survived a whole week of school and teaching! I even had a class that was actual teaching, rather than me reading my little shutterfly book for the 82nd time. However, it was a long week, and I decided to go to Nagano city today for some retail therapy. Actually, I was going to get a JLPT application, but somehow I spent a TON of money today! I did get my JLPT application, so if I can jump through all the hoops correctly, I will be taking the test in December. I also got a yukata, so that is exciting. It is beautiful royal blue (my blue) with flowers and I got a pinkish obi that matches the flowers on the yukata. I just took it out of the package, however, and I have no clue what sort of Japanese woman would EVER be able to wear it because it is like 8 inches too long for me! I am not tall, but I am taller than quite a few of the women here, so I am a little confused. Perhaps there is something I am supposed to do? (any advice, anyone?) It is nearing the end of summer anyway, so I will probably not wear it until next year, but all that means is that when I bought it, it was half price!! YAY

I ALSO went into an arcade of sorts. That is the wrong word, but I cannot remember, ANYway, it is just a whole room of the claw machines and they all have different things and I managed to win this HUGE hello kitty pillow. It is so cute. Do not ask how many times I had to play to win it, or if I could have bought it for cheaper. There is just a nice feeling that comes with winning it, so whatever.

The one productive thing I got today is an external hard drive. My computer has been acting up (blue screen of death at least 8 times in the past three days) so I decided to play it safe, and I will save all my music and pictures, just in case. Of course, now that I have come to this decision, the computer will play nice for 5 more years. Thats just how it works, isn't it?

Actually, I got a totally cute desk/chair set and another set of bookshelves today too, so those also fall under "productive." I was trying to put the shelves together and I killed the screwdriver. I just have one of those hand held ones that does not have, like, an actual handle, its just sort of the metal part with a triangley piece to grip, and I guess you could say I stripped it. Instead of having the little plus sign on the end, it just has a piece in the middle and all the ridges are gone completely. I think tomorrow I will use my hammer and just pound the screws into place. Stupid cheap screwdrivers!

So this post did not really have a point. I just thought I should share that retail therapy is very effective in Japan, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment