Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Elissa, eating an apple with peanut butter is stranger than eating octopus"

Yes, this was a real conversation.

Rewind to Sunday when I would not eat the octopus at the party. All the other teachers were fighting over it, and I was not interested in the slightest. They were shocked! "You don't like octopus?!" "It's delicious!"

I told them that in the US, we don't really eat octopus, so it's a little strange to me. I also tried to explain that when I can see the little suction cups on the tentacles, I get way freaked out. (they laughed at this one)

Fast forward to today: The conversation started because one of the teachers had a HUGE apple on her desk that was given to her by a student. I told the JTEs how in the US its one of those little cliche things where students give teachers apples. She laughed, and then we talked about different apples and how they are smaller in the US, and how there are so many different kinds. I told them that apples are cheaper in the US too. And then I just randomly mentioned that apples are delicious with peanut butter! That got quite a stare from them. One of the JTEs was excited and said that in the home ec class, they would taste apple with peanut butter. However, the other JTE said to me "Elissa, eating an apple with peanut butter is stranger than eating octopus."

The end.

2 comments:

  1. Well isn't peanut butter good with pretty much everything? Especially apples, but also banana or celery (and chocolate!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like peanut butter or octopi...
    I'm the strangest of them all :)

    ReplyDelete