Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Who is that on the snowboard?


IT'S ME! (Thanks, Kim, for taking pictures!) Yes, I went snowboarding for the first time today. It was quite an adventure. I actually had a lot of fun, but I am now in a lot of pain. We went to Togari ski park which is like 10 minutes from where I live. Quite convenient! I went with Kim and Miki (Miki teaches English at Kim's school, and her English is great!). Kim had only been once before so she showed me what she learned last time, with some help from Miki, and then off we went! We did some practice at the bottom of the lift, just on the smaller hills and flat parts, and then we went up and just went for it. As I learned, you just have to go and do it with snowboarding. Yes, I fell, A LOT, but that's how it goes. At this point, more than half of my soreness is from all of the falls, and the rest is the muscles in my lower back and abs that I have not used in a while... However, I need to learn to not catch my falls with my wrists because now both of my wrists are a little sore, not to mention my hips, and knees and neck.

I think I did OK today, considering it was my first time. I had a few long streaks where I was going for a while without falling. I did have enough fun that I plan to go again. I will probably try to find a used board to buy, and then get some good boots that actually fit my feet correctly. The ski parks do have gear to rent, but it's about $30 each time, so it would add up to be more than if I just buy my own boots and a used board.

Alright, that's the update for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment