Wednesday, August 24, 2011

5-minute story

Quick one from today...typed in less than 5 minutes!

So today with my first years, we played jeopardy.  Well, more like a quiz game because I do not make them say the answers in question form.  That would just be ridiculous, plus it would be harder for me to make questions.  I am not paid that much, though I am sure the Jeopardy question makers make quite a bit.

Anyway, we got to the final round and I explained about betting points, so most groups bet everything they had.  I guess it makes sense, but I have always been a fan of being safe and coming in second rather than risking it all for first place.

The question:  Write down in English 5 things in this classroom.

ready go!

after a minute, I called time and was walking around checking answers.  The first group I checked had: notebook, window, pen, desk, bug.  So I ask them about bug, knowing full well that they wanted to write bag and that English spelling is hard from a Japanese point of view.  So I tell that group that bug is "mushi,"  quite different from bag and that odds are there is a bug in the classroom and if they can find it they have points. 

I walked away, laughing to myself, and went to check the next group.  Well...I asked for it because I had just moved to check the third group when a kid from group one comes up to me and shows me the bug he has caught.  Yeah...itty bitty thing between his thumb and pointer finger...in my face.  well...ok, then.  Points to that team!

the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment