Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Funny things my students write

Assignment for the 2nd years: Write about your hometown.

We gave them examples of complete assignments and then wrote out ideas of what they could write (I'm from~ / I live in ~/ My hometown is famous for ~ / There are many ~ / We can see ~ from my house. etc, etc, etc.)
So most students followed the formula and wrote almost the same thing as the example, which is fine. Practice is practice, regardless of creativity. However, there were a few that stuck out that I thought were worth sharing for one reason or another.

(#1) By: Can't remember his name:
My hometown is Iiyama.
We can see the sky from my house.

Comments I wrote: "Really? We can see the sky from my house in Virginia, too! Good!"
I don't think he will pick up on the sarcasm. I just could not resist!

(#2) By: Yuya Tanaka.
I live in Iiyama.
It's in the north of Nagano prefecture
It's famous for a baseball player.
His name is Yuya Tanaka.
There are some temples.

Comments I wrote: "Great! I did not know you were a famous baseball player!"
Points for creativity on this one!

and finally (#3) By Genki:
I live in Nishiootaki.
It's in the Iiyama City.
It's in the Nagano prefecture.
It's in the Japan.
It's in the Asia.
It's in the earth.
It's in the galaxy.
It's in the universe.
I love Nishiootaki.

Comments I wrote: (after removing all the extra "the"s and changing "It's in the earth." to "It's on Earth.") "Great! I enjoyed reading this! What do you love about Nishiootaki?"
I guess this is still considered on topic! Definitely creative. Made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment