Thursday, October 28, 2010

fun Thursday

Hi again!

So, I stopped my daily posting (lazy) and I decided I would just post when something interesting or fun came up.  So, I had no classes today, which I knew ahead of time (kids are on field trips and fun games at school and such) so I managed to get Kim to request me to come help her at elementary school!  I got to back to Okayama Elementary school again (it was my favorite last year) and we carved pumpkins and make pumpkin seeds with the 5th and 6th graders.  Just a reminder...Okayama has 18 students total.  Two 5th graders and four 6th graders so Kim and I only carved with 6 students. It was super fun!!!  I love that school!  I cannot really explain it, but the kids are just good.  They help each other, they do not complain, they try, etc etc etc.  That school feeds into my JHS, and I know which kids are from Okayama because they are just better kids.  I hate to say that some kids are better than others, but, let's face it, they are.  K, so we carved the pumpkins and roasted the seeds and then ate them!  I cut my thumb once, too.  oops.  I was a little nervous about the seeds because Japanese people tend to shy away from like peels and shells (they peel pears and apples and grapes here) but the kids all tried the seeds and loved them!  My other concern...as you can see in the picture, we carved one small pumpkin and one HUGE pumpkin.  Well, the seeds that came out of each were size-appropriate, i.e. small ones (regular to us Americans) and HUGE ones that I was not sure if they would cook or how they would taste.  But, we gave it a try and they turned out to be quite delicious.  I do still prefer the smaller ones that I have grown up with, but the big ones were good, too.


So, after that I came back to school.  As far as I knew, my first years were supposed to be making baked sweet potatoes (yakiimo...so very delicious!)  So I was sort of expecting one on my desk when I got back.  However, because it rained all day, they made delicious soup (with sweet potato in it) and rice instead, and one of the teachers offered me some as my lunch!  YUM!  I hastily hid the onigiri I had bought and accepted the delicious soup and rice.  Best part... halfway through, they told me that the rice I was eating was "brand" rice and costs like 3 times the regular price because it is more delicious and difficult to grow.  I will admit, it definitely tasted good, but if no one had told me that, I would not have thought anything special of the rice.  haha.  But apparently they can tell?  Guess I will have to practice recognizing the difference.

After that, I worked on my scavenger hunt project and ate candy.  haha.  I am so glad that I got my scavenger hunt idea approved.  I hope the students enjoy it.  I am going to bring take candy tomorrow for the teachers in honor of Halloween.  I am also considering wearing a costume all day...

Also, I got pudding!  In America (and perhaps the rest of the world) we call it flan, but, they call it pudding here.  And just to clarify, it is more like American pudding in that you can buy it at the grocery store in little individual containers, so, I guess the flavor is flan but the thing itself is more like pudding.

And in other news, it was cold enough today to meet the requirements for turning the heaters on.  yeah.

I had some minor battles with Microsoft Excel, too, today.  If you are good at Excel and you can tell my why when I look at it on the screen, it looks one way, but when I do a print preview, it changes format a bit, and when I print, it is again different.  My battle was finding the way to set it so when it printed it would be correct.  I think I wasted some ink today.  Sorry, school.  Also, it does not help that I use Excel in Japanese at school.  haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment