Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Terrible Tuesday

It's Tuesday!  What does that mean?  Nothing, actually.  Just that it is no longer Monday, but it is not yet Wednesday.  Also, nothing terrible happened today, I just wanted a title of some sort.

So... tomorrow is tests and that means no classes today, too, just like yesterday..  I sat and sat and sat.  Studied kanji.  Took a walk around the school.  Ate lunch and then sat some more.  Then cleaned.  It is weeks like this that I am ready to go back to America and sit there and do nothing where at least the TV and I speak the same language. (not that I am watching TV at school...I wish!)

One funny... a teacher told me (he actually told me yesterday, but if I had posted it yesterday there would have been nothing  to tell for today).  So he said "I have to go to the police station so can we cancel 1st period?"  Talk about a way to make me curious!!  wow.  I think that even if he had not had to go to the police station, he would have canceled class because of tests, but...police station trips are more interesting so we will leave it at that.

And something interesting that Japan does (or at least Iiyama does).  Today for second period, all of the principles from Iiyama came to observe classes here.  They just walked around and sat in each one for 5 minutes or so.  After that they have a meeting and discuss what they saw.  It is very interesting to me that they do this.  I know why my principal would want to see classes at my school, but going around to other schools of all levels?  And yes, they rotate and go to all the schools.  Do principals in America do things like this?

Lunch today: special "fall" rice (it had mushrooms, soybeans, carrots, chicken, and my personal favorite, sweet potato in it), fall vegetable miso soup, milk, fried pork and fried tofu in delicious sauce, daikon kimchi salad (daikon is the Japanese radish and kimchi is like Korean spicy cabbage.)  and a slice of apple.  YUM

Something I learned during lunch...3rd year boys need to be wearing deodorant.  yuck.

Let's talk about apples.  Apples in Japan are delicious.  Seriously.  They are huge and delicious.  They are also EXPENSIVE as are many fruits here (ever paid 5 bucks for 12 grapes? or 100 bucks for watermelon?)  It was funny yesterday when I heard students talking about watermelon and one said, "oh, I heard they do not have watermelon in America."  don't worry, I cut in on that conversation and informed them that not only do we have watermelon, but our watermelon is delicious, CHEAP and you can get it seedless!!!  take that, Japan.  But anyway, I love when we get fruit with lunch because then I do not have to buy it myself!  The pears here (I guess we call them Asian pears in the US) are also a-mazing! 

and that...was my day.

We are going to the delicious Italian restaurant for dinner.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment